WATCH: Should art be profitable? Shepard Fairey says yes

Los Angeles street artist Shepard Fairey recently visited Art Center to discuss the art of profiting off his pieces — something critics have accused him of doing too well.

Fairey narrated a 22-minute show focused mostly on his personal rather than commercial works, including his first “Obey” sticker of Andre the Giant, as part of the Graphic Design Department’s 3×3 lecture series featuring Creative Entrepreneurs.

The stencil with Andre’s weight and height Fairey created after his freshman year of college is a far cry from the Obey propaganda-style street art (and fashion line) that was to come.

“I was making posters of things I cared about, criticizing capitalism while selling stuff to people,” he said. “Scrutizing capitalism is the less hypocritical way of putting it.”

Fairey, who says he’s a proponent of socially conscious capitalism, shared his career low points, including a screen printing business that went belly up and his much publicized and legally contested “Hope” poster of Barack Obama.

“I made no money from this project,” he said. “I got sued for a lot of money, but I made no money.”

(Last week Fairey received a sentence of two years’ probation and a $25,000 fine in his legal battle with the Associated Press over the use of an AP photo.)

Fairey also shared his successes: his (low-paying) design for the Occupy movement that landed him the high-profile cover of Time magazine.

“I’ve been very fortunate that the stuff I put out on the street, even though it wasn’t intended to be marketing for work I could do for other people, ended up working that way and it helped me to survive financially,” he said.

Related:
Spotlight on Esther Pearl Watson and Mark Todd

Share this:Email this to someoneShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInPin on PinterestShare on Tumblr