Welcome to ArtCenter 2019! We hope you are rested and ready to tackle the Spring Term. As usual, elves have been busy working over break improving our campus, so some things may seem a little different. Here’s a rundown of the changes. We also want to take a minute to remind you of a few safety matters as we start the new year.
Room numbers at Hillside have changed!
The entire building has been renumbered. Don’t panic—Security personnel will be equipped with new building maps, you can download and print one yourself here, and there are big maps at the north and south entrances. And most people and things are in the same locations. The Bridge, pictured above, is in the same place and remains un-numbered.
Other Hillside Changes
- The Hillside Micromarket will be opening its doors really soon, hopefully before the end of the month, which will allow 24-hour access to food, similar to the Micromarkets at South Campus.
- The entire Accounting department decamped from Hillside and moved to the 1111 building. You can find them on the Level 4. This includes the Cashier and Payroll.
- Purchasing will be moving from Hillside to the 1111 building, probably later this month. The mail room and receiving will remain at Hillside.
- The Hillside 3d Rapid Prototyping room relocated to what is now Room 208, wherever that is. Kidding. Check your new maps.
- The College is getting a new Kongsburg table that will go into what is now Room 241, which you can locate using the new building map. It will be up and running as soon as shop staff are fully trained on how to operate it.
- The Faculty Lounge will also be relocated before the end of the month into what is now Room 212, the old Provost’s office (check your maps).
- The second Hillside Film Stage that was adjacent to the Faculty/Staff parking lot was also relocated over the break and is now in Room 182. There was no old Room 182, so this should not be confusing.
1111 building changes
We still have the same number of floors, but we are now referring to them as levels. We know change is difficult, but this will be much easier than getting used to the new room numbers at Hillside.
- Construction is ongoing on Level Three so there are still some classes that will be meeting in temporary classrooms on Level Two.
- The Accounting department moved into their new digs on Level Four, Suite 410. Head south when you get off the elevator to find them.
- The Security Office that was temporarily located on Level Two has returned to its permanent spot on Level Four, Suite 406.
- Human Resources is still in their temporary space at the north end of Level Four, but hopes to be returning to their suite on the southside by the end of the month.
1111 building stairs
Did you know you can take the stairs instead of waiting for elevators at the 1111 building? Stairs from the parking levels to the lobby are now open and can be used. You can also use stairs to move from floor to floor throughout the building. Please note, because there is now an internal staircase from the lobby to the second level, the outside stairwell from the ground to Level Two can only be used to exit the building.
On January 1, 2019, ArtCenter officially became a tobacco- and smoke-free campus. No smoking, no vaping, no cigarettes, no e-cigarettes, no cigars, no pipes, no cannabis, no hookahs, no chewing tobacco. This means anywhere on campus. No smoker polls, no smoking spots. We are initiating this policy to address the overall health and wellness of our community and its environment. We aren’t telling any of you to quit using tobacco products, however, we do expect you to follow the policy while on campus.
Go here to read the official policy. We have also included information and resources for those interested in quitting.
You will need your stinking badges
All members of the ArtCenter community must wear visible College identification while on campus. That includes faculty, staff and students. Security may stop and question anyone who is not displaying an ArtCenter ID. No one wants to wear badges, but this is really for the safety of all of us. Security has lanyards and holders available for anyone who needs them. If you forget your ID, just check in with Security when you arrive on campus.
ArtCenter has developed an app that you can download from the App Store or Google Play (search for ArtCenter). The Safety App allows you to chat directly with Security personnel, report a problem, review campus emergency plans and much more. Get it and start practicing some safety on campus!
Have we mentioned that room numbers have changed at Hillside?
If you know of changes we missed, or have a tip for Campus News, send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org.