Caldecott winner, #1 New York Times best-selling author, creator of Beekle, and ArtCenter alum, Dan Santat (BFA 01 Illustration) stopped by the Alumni Center recently to sign a copy of Beekle and mingle with Alumni Relations staff.
We asked [Dan] what advice he would give illustration students today.
- Take a basic typography or lettering class.
He’s been flexing those lettering skills in all his books; gives him an edge over the competition.
- Take one basic advertising class.
Roland Young (BFA 61 ADVT) gave him some of the best advice—“He would ask us, ‘Why are you trying to be flashy? If you’re a style, then people will hire you for your style. What you really want to be is formless. You want to be known as a person that has great ideas.’”
- Take a basic graphic design class.
- Take the history of illustration class—how can you not know your history?
- Take a Design 1 class with Bruce Claypool (BFA 76 Graphic Design) @claypoolbruce.
Follow the @artcenter_alumnetwork Instagram account to find out more about alumni gatherings and events