Penchant for precise planning proves valuable for aspiring filmmaker

cero
ArtCenter’s history is rich with students, staff
and faculty who served their country through military service. The College’s reputation, culture and even the school’s site in Pasadena have been shaped by the veterans who have come through its doors since 1930 to take advantage of its intensive careers-focused programs that lead to bachelor and master degree

As Provost Karen Hofmann notes, “veterans are able to change course or strategy when projects demand it, and they bring a spirit of camaraderie and teamwork that elevates the energy and work ethic of the class to another level.”

Today, servicemen and servicewomen—whose discipline and desire to make a positive impact align closely with the College’s educational mission—continue to distinguish themselves as students and alumni.

On the eve of this Veterans Day, we caught up with one of our current crop of students transitioning from military life to a professional career. Cero Smith is pursuing a graduate degree in our Film Program.

Campus News: How did you hear about ArtCenter and what drew you here?

Cero Smith: I actually did my own research in trying to find a school that had a successful output of students into the working market. There were many choices but, this school had some of my favorite filmmakers attend here.

CN: Can you tell us a little about your non-military, pre-ArtCenter life?

CS: I’m originally from New Jersey but lived most of my life in New York. I like New York way more, so I say New York. I attended Ithaca College in upstate New York and earned a B.S. in Scriptwriting for Television and Radio.

CN: What motivated you to serve in the military?

CS: There was a time in my life, about two years before I enrolled, when I was very patriotic so I joined the United States Army in 2012, wanting to save as many lives as I could. I served for six years as a 68W (or, as they say in the Army, sixty-eight whiskey) Combat Medic Healthcare Specialist. [Editorial note: According to goarmy.com, The combat medic specialist is primarily responsible for providing emergency medical treatment at point of wounding on the battlefield, limited primary care, and health protection and evacuation from a point of injury or illness.]

CN: How has your military experience influence your student experience?

CS: My military experience taught me to be extremely organized—people have noticed I’m a very calculated director on set. To me, every position is a working cog—we can’t make a motion picture without everyone working together!

CN: What are the challenges (if any) of being a veteran student?

CS: The greatest challenge I have encountered is dealing with disorganization. In the military, everything is prepared in advance and very organized. Outside as a civilian student, I have often experienced a lack of unity and discovered people are looking for a command presence. Filmmaking is not something you can pursue alone—it can take anything from a squad to a battalion of people to get the job done—when you are not on the same page, it leaves room for error. In the military, there is no error so in these situations I find myself “quarterbacking” everyone, whether I’m directing or not.

And the GI bill presents its own challenges…

CN: What is your favorite place on campus?

CS: Room 120—the editing room where the powerful computer and programs help make a sound project happen!

CN: What is your current obsession?

CS: I’m currently obsessed with writing in my journal and avocados—I write all of the time and I love to bite into avocados whenever I can!  It’s such a healthy snack!

CN: Who do you admire and why?

CS: I don’t admire any one person really but, I really do admire anyone that has traversed a long tough life to make it to film school and has a great story to tell! I feel like a person’s harsh experiences aid in the emotion of telling stories and I just admire the fact that they never gave up.

CN: What will you be doing on Veterans Day this year?

CS: Veterans day…?  To be honest I don’t know… Everyone in my family is from the East Coast and I usually get together with them to BBQ and share stories with my nieces and nephews but, who knows.

We suggest someone should take advantage of Veterans Day discounts and freebies and take Cero out for some nourishment.