Tomorrow night, Friday, March 16 from 6:00 to 10:00 p.m., student teams from Art Center, Caltech, Le Cordon Bleu, Fuller Theological Seminary, Pacific Oaks College and Pasadena City College will vie for top honors in the third annual Pasadena Collegiate Field Tournament at PCC’s Jackie Robinson Stadium.
Admission is free and open to the public and everyone is invited to attend and root for their favorite teams. (But you better root for Art Center.)
The field tournament is a somewhat wacky event comprised of challenges derived from the participating schools’ areas of expertise. Challenges in this year’s tourney include the Amazing Russet Race, Monster Croquet, Frisbee Touchdown Toss, Lego Car Design Challenge, Minute to Win It Marathon, Pandora’s Box and the School Spirit Competition.
- The Amazing Russet Race – This is inspired by the fact that Le Cordon Bleu students hone their craft by learning how to slice and dice many foods, including potatoes. In this challenge, teams will be divided into “stuffers” and “pickers” who must fill uniforms with potatoes. The first team to amass 500 pounds of spuds will win the challenge.
- Frisbee Touchdown Toss – This is a tribute to the fact that Frisbee golf was invented in Pasadena and the first Frisbee disc course was constructed and is still in operation here. (who knew?) Each team will have three opportunities to throw Frisbees into the end zones of the stadium while team members attempt to catch them. The team with the most points will win the challenge.
- Lego Car Design Challenge – This pays homage to Art Center’s legendary Transportation Design Program. Using creativity and innovative design solutions, each team will race to assemble a Lego car where function meets style. Cars will be judged on design and speed.
- Minute to Win It Marathon – A nod to the popular TV show, Fuller Seminary will lead competitors through obstacles such as Bobble-head, Hut-Hut-Hike, and Going the Distance.
- Monster Croquet – Each team will select members to hit a giant beach ball with a mallet through balloon arches that serve as wickets. The team that succeeds in getting their beach ball through all the wickets the fastest wins.
- Pandora’s Box – This challenge plays homage to each school’s area of expertise. Multiple relays will test strengths of feat, faith, design, taste buds and more as competitors play the expanse of the football field–end zone to end zone.
- School Spirit Competition – There’s absolutely nothing uniform about Pasadena’s superior institutions of higher learning, but uniforms for each team will be designed expressly for this competition by the schools they represent. The best team uniform based on attractiveness, originality and thematic connection to the school’s learning focus will win this challenge.
Free parking is available in Lot 5 at the corner of Del Mar Boulevard and Bonnie Street. Jackie Robinson Stadium is located on the south side of the PCC campus near Del Mar Boulevard between Hill and Bonnie avenues. [map]
The Pasadena Collegiate Field Tournament is sponsored by the City of Pasadena. For more information call 626.744.7216.