Brand and deliver: A scholarship recipient’s takeaways from Brandcamp

Saturday High’s four-week Summer Intensives are known for their, well, intensity. The rigorous, four-week programs immerse students in studio classes and lectures on disciplines like Industrial Design, Entertainment Design, Advertising and Graphic Design, ending with a final exhibition of student work.

Recent high school graduate Sydney Li is one of a handful of students to receive a full scholarship to attend Brandcamp, Saturday High’s Intensive focusing on Advertising and Graphic Design beginning July 7. We asked Sydney to share her experiences before, during and after Brandcamp to get her impressions of the experience.

Here is the first of three conversations with Sydney:

Art Center:  Congratulations on Brandcamp and on your scholarship, which was created by through support from the Richard and Jean Coyne Family Foundation. Will this be your first Saturday High experience?

Sydney Li: I’ve taken Saturday High classes in Graphic Design and Advertising, as well as Design 360, which looks at different design majors. Brandcamp will be my first Summer Intensive.

AC: How have Saturday High classes compared to your high school classes?

SL: They’ve been really different. My high school offered classes in photography, drawing and painting, but Saturday High offers much more. The classes give you a chance to learn about new kinds of design, and to see how far you can take an idea, good or bad, and figure out what works and what doesn’t.  You’re encouraged to make mistakes and try new creative approaches. I’ve also learned a lot about how research is important to creating a better product.

AC: So why Brandcamp?

SL: Because I really like the Advertising class I took and I want to learn more!  I’d like to become an art director someday. I’d like to be able to develop really interesting ideas and put them out into the world for people to react to.

AC: How do you think Brandcamp will be different from other Saturday High classes?

SL:  I think it’s going to be a much bigger work load, and much more challenging. I’m not sure how I’ll handle it, but I’m looking forward to taking it on, learning something new and improving my knowledge about the world of advertising.

AC: Tell me about the scholarship you received.

SL: I’ve received scholarships in the past to attend Art Center’s Public Program classes, but never one this big. It was a surprise. I’m really happy about it. So is my mom. After Brandcamp, I’ll be enrolling in Art Center’s undergraduate Advertising program in the fall. We’ll be able to use the money we’ve saved on the Summer Intensive to help cover my tuition in the fall. It’s a huge help, and I’m proud and grateful to have this support.

AC: Do you think Brandcamp will help prepare you for the transition to Art Center’s undergraduate program?

SL: It should help me build my portfolio. Also, I think taking design classes five days a week should help me with learning how to manage my time. That should benefit me when I start the program in the fall, which I know is going to be intense.

AC:  Can we check in with you in a few weeks to hear about how your Brandcamp experience is going?

SL:  Yes. I’m looking forward to it. I don’t know what to expect, but I’m eager to jump in and get started and let you know how it all turns out.

Check back in a few weeks to learn about how Brandcamp is working out for Sydney.