The ICFF Studio competition is open to designers working in the industry for less than five years who have a working prototype that is not in commercial production. Each year, up to 12 finalists are chosen to exhibit at ICFF in their own individual booths under the ICFF Studio umbrella. This year, eight out of the 11 chosen finalists were from ArtCenter. Congratulations to this talented crew who were chosen out of hundreds of submissions from around the world.
Representing ArtCenter in the 2018 ICFF Studio were:
- “Lavida” chair created by Chenchen Fan, Product Design student
- “Nostalgia” created by Yelling Guo, Environmental Design student
- “Snug” created by Nupur Haridas, Graduate Environmental Design student
- “Froz” designed by Huan Pei, Graduate Environmental Design alumnus
- “Fog Table” created by Haeun Kim, Product Design student
- “Mokum” and “Creative Exploration” designed by Kelly Kim, Product Design student
- “Sensi” chair created by Sasipat Leelachart, Environmental Design student
- “Black Kaleidoscope” designed by Jialun Xiong, Graduate Environmental Design alumnus
Xiong’s “Black Kaleidoscope” was also chosen by Architect Magazine as one of its Top Nine Picks from ICFF 2018.
Now in its 13th edition, ICFF Studio is the forum where emerging designers compete with peers by submitting market ready, producible concepts with the goal of being chosen as one of the finalists that will be profiled to 36,000 architects, interior designers, developers, visual merchandisers, and retail buyers attending ICFF. The most prestigious competition in the design industry, ICFF Studio presents a handful of young and emerging designers to the best of the North American design community; the most successful architects, the leading interior designers, the best visual merchandisers, buyers from the nation’s better retailers and the markets top developers. In addition, finalists are exposed to more than 800 exhibitors from all over the world who get to meet with finalists, see their concepts and designs and in many cases get to do business with them.
Finalists are presented at ICFF in their own individual booths under the ICFF Studio umbrella, offering an amazing opportunity for Studio finalists to introduce their offerings to the design world and begin to build their future. ICFF Studio winners can launch their career by presenting their designs to some of the world’s top designers and architects. A great example is ICFF Studio star and ArtCenter alum Nolen Niu, who launched his idea into the market at ICFF, then started his own business in Los Angeles.
ICFF Studio is presented by ICFF and Bernhardt Design. Bernhardt Design is a leading designer and manufacturer of contemporary furniture for the home, office and hospitality space for over 127 years.